04 June 2011

oh no!! :(

I went to block a special project where I used hand dyed yarn in six different colours and when I dipped it in the water the colours ran badly. *sob* How do I fasten the colour!? It's currently resoaking in a vinegar/water mix with my fingers crossed.

It's been suggested that I wash and wash and let the colour run out as much as it's going to. The red is the main culprit. I don't know if I just didn't dye that one properly. I had it a dark pink before I found the pillar box red and re-dyed it. Red seems to be a troublesome colour when it comes to bleeding. And bleed it has. It looks like the crochet hook I used was too sharp! I'm hoping it will wash out a lot when I put it through its paces. I'm gonna just do the red area first for a while I think before I work on the whole lot.

2 comments:

  1. Here in the US there is something called "Color Catcher" that you put it with whatever you are washing and it it will catch the colors that run. It's a little sheet that looks like fabric softern sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That's awful, you must be really annoyed. You can buy Colour Run Remover in the supermarket to remove it, but I don't know if it would work with hand wash hand knits. Might be worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete