13 May 2010

the simple and the time consuming

Creating comes in all forms and sizes. You don't have to be a crafter or have an artistic flare to be creative....though I am and it's my most enjoyed form of creating.

I'm having a 1920s party to see out my 20s later this month and I've been spending most of my free time creating for that. As is common for me I find my projects are more time consuming than expected. In the last couple of weeks it's been my dress for the event. I'm not giving anything away. You'll have to wait for photos from the celebration to see but I can say that it's gone from dress making to costume making. I was originally thinking it might turn out nice enough to re-wear another time. But alas, I am me and rarely follow a pattern exactly. This leads to interesting hiccups and cover ups. So in my mind its more of just a costume now. I've got it to the wearable stage but am now moving on to my hairpiece (and other things that need organising). Then if I run out of time to do the detailing I have in mind it at least won't look unfinished. So to stuff I will show you...
I bought some packets of basic painted wooden beads while they were on special some time ago with the intention of doing just as pictured. In the spirit of the creating moment I threaded the red beads onto a double strand of plastic elastic yesterday. It's that thin rubbery stuff..not wrapped in cotton like hat elastic. Probably not quite plastic either but it rhymes so nicely. ^^ Such a simple necklace but fun with a touch of elegance.

And the yarn!! I keep forgetting to take a photo of it so when I remembered today, during daylight, I made sure I did. I participated in a yarn swap a while ago where you're given a partner and you send each other some yarn. It's most exciting knowing a parcel is coming, and receiving it, not knowing exactly what goodness you're gonna be blessed with. Well, Alessandra from Just Be Happy was the organiser and my swap partner. She sent me these lovely, pure wool skeins of deep, dark purple and a matching lighter shade. I have some ideas floating around but they are patiently waiting as I'm too busy this month with other makings. (Plus I know I'm getting a "Knit and Crochet Bible" for my birthday!) Alessandra has some lovely things on her blog. It's a good quick read and frequently updated. She also has an etsy store where you can buy heaps of neat things and cute amigurumis (stuffed crocheted toys). You should take a squiz! And speaking of swaps, there's a fun new one open for Aussies to participate in. I found it--and joined it--today. We're swapping softies! So if you love to make a softie or want to give it a first go, why not do so with the added fun of giving and surprises? Head on over to Small Things for more details. Don't think about it too long as you've only got till the 22 May to sign up!

Well...back to the makings for me. Don't ya just love creating?

1 comment: