Here I mentioned starting a project for a special someone. Well, it's finished and been given. I visited one of my best friends this week and this little guy was for her newest little girl born last month.
Designed as I crocheted I had a bit of challenge getting the shape I wanted. I even cut his neck off and unpulled some and re-crocheted it shorter and wider. I did that because his neck was a bit floppy so I changed the shape a bit and packed it tighter with stuffing. I also did a cute little tummy patch so it would stick out. I then did this cool wavy fin thing from his head right down his back. I was about to do some little fins for arms when I decided I'd google 'seahorse' and see what they actually looked like to get the fins right. Only, I discovered they don't really have fins....or big wavy bits down their backs. Oops. So I changed it again to be a better representation. I cut off the wavy bit and crocheted some little ... umm... nobly bits for his head and gave hime a nice little dorsal fin.
Here's his cute little head. I went with little black buttons for his pupils. With his tail, I just crocheted a straight tube that got wider and turned into his body. Then, after stuffing it, I just twirled the tail lots pulling it into shape. It's not as spiral-like as I was intending. I was even thinking of stitching it in place so it would stay but I decided it looked better like this. It should be flexible coz they use their tails to hold onto seaweed and stuff.